jennajd
9 Posts
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 01:29 pm
Report Post | Anchor
Edited: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:05 am
Rosie
6 Posts
adding words
Being able to suggest words for the dictionary is a good idea, and I like it. But there's a problem.

Many, many words have been suggested repeatedly, and need to be added. But they were originally suggested so long ago that they are impossibly buried in the suggestion list and cannot be reached to be added. This is frustrating, both for players who want credit for their words, and for the mods trying to help them.

There needs to be a way for mods to add words directly, without having to go from the suggestion list. It could work from the existing 'search the dictionary' feature; simply put in an 'add word' option if the searched-for word isn't found.
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 03:10 am
Report Post | Anchor
Edited: soon after post
jennajd
9 Posts
Hi Rosie,

I'm not sure what happened to my original post, but Marla responded to my initial question: which was, is there a standard dictionary that should be used? I've been using Scrabble official tournament version. Marla has said that she uses numerous others before nixing a suggested word.

As to your thought: yes, and also, I think there should be a way to appeal a word previously dismissed by a mod, but which should still be added. I've come across only a few, but, still.... maybe part of the problem is different countries/vernacular, etc.
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:18 am
Report Post | Anchor
Marla
16 Posts
Lurker
I totally agree with both Rosie and jenna. On Rosie's point, the dictionary work could go so much faster if mods could type in the words - I think this would be most useful for getting rid of the acronyms, abbreviations and proper nouns that are in the dictionary here. And on jenna's point, I have run across words other mods have worked on that I felt and then researched should have either been added, deleted or dismissed. I appreciate all the work mods do on the dictionary, knowing that it can be a thankless task and would really appreciate some input from admin here in the forum on making some major changes to the dictionary to make game play more fair and enjoyable. Fri, 26 Feb 2010 02:41 pm
Report Post | Anchor
admin
28 Posts
Regular
Hi moderators,
Thanks for your valuable feedback regarding the dictionary. It does highlight how this neglected (yet critical) part of the game needs further attention, especially when it comes to managing dictionary words and submissions. Hopefully within the next few months I will have time to implement a better dictionary management system that is easier to use. I did not anticipate there would be so much activity and the current system, being rudimentary and cumbersome, is simply not coping.

I will also investigate bulk-importing a better dictionary (e.g. ENABLE2K) into the system.

Being able to appeal or undo a dictionary action (such as word add/removal) is also quite important as we are all human and are prone to making mistakes.
Tue, 02 Mar 2010 04:58 pm
Report Post | Anchor
Marla
16 Posts
Lurker
Thanks, Admin
Admin,

Thanks for the response to the dictionary issues. Your time and effort is very much appreciated.

P.S. Like the 'Lurker' after 10 posts.
Wed, 03 Mar 2010 06:54 am
Report Post | Anchor
jojo
1 Posts
Mod question
The "drop down" for Moderator Utilities is gone. Anyone else have this problem lately?
Jenn
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 01:31 pm
Report Post | Anchor
moonchild
0 Posts
dictionary obsession
I'M WORKING ON IT!!!!!!!

But frankly, if everyone had
worked a bit on it, it wouldn't have gotten this bad.
With the newer IP ban, there is seldom use for moderating language.
Let's check the dictionary a bit more then, eh?
Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:24 am
Report Post | Anchor

Login required

To post a message, you must be logged on.