verb, smiled, smiling, noun
-- verb (i)
1. to assume a facial expression, characterised especially by a widening of the mouth, indicative of pleasure, favour, kindliness, amusement, derision, scorn, etc.
2. to have a pleasant or agreeable aspect, as natural scenes, objects, etc.
-- verb (t)
3. to assume or give (a smile).
4. to express by a smile: to smile approval.
5. to bring, put, drive, etc., by smiling: to smile one's tears away.
6. the act of smiling; a smiling expression of the face.
7. favouring look or regard: fortune's smile.
8. pleasant or agreeable look or aspect.
9. smile at, a. to look with such an expression, especially in a pleasant or kindly way. b. to look at in amusement.
10. smile on or smile upon, to look with favour, or support.
[ME, c. OHG smilan, Dan. smile ]
-- smiler, noun -- smilingly, adverb