noun, verb, slapped, slapping, adverb
1. a smart blow, especially with the open hand or with something flat.
2. the sound of such a blow.
3. a sarcastic or censuring hit or rebuke.
-- verb (t)
4. to strike smartly, especially with the open hand or with something flat.
5. to bring (the hands, etc.) against with a smart blow.
6. a. to put or apply vigorously, haphazardly or in large quantities. b. to dash or cast forcibly.
7. smartly; suddenly.
8. Colloquial directly; straight.
9. a slap in the face, a rebuke or insult.
10. a slap on the wrist, a mild rebuke.
11. slap down, a. to put down forcibly. b. to rebuke or suppress the enthusiasm of.
[LG slapp, slappe; imitative]