verb, sewed, sewn or sewed, sewing.
-- verb (t)
1. to join or attach by a thread or the like, as with a needle.
2. to make, repair, etc., (a garment) by such means.
3. to fasten or secure with stitches: to sew flour in bags.
-- verb (i)
4. to work with a needle and thread, or with a sewing machine.
5. sew up, a. Medicine to close (a hole, wound, etc.) by means of stitches. b. Colloquial to complete or conclude (arrangements, discussions, etc.) successfully or satisfactorily.
[ME sewe ( n ), OE siw ( i ) an; akin to L suere ]