verb ( patted, patting )
-- verb (t)
1. to strike lightly with something flat, as an implement, the palm of the hand, or the foot.
2. to stroke gently with the palm or fingers as an expression of affection, approbation, etc.
3. to flatten or smooth into a desired shape, as butter.
-- verb (i)
4. to strike lightly or gently.
5. to walk or run with lightly sounding footsteps.
6. a light stroke or blow with something flat.
7. the sound of a light stroke, or of light footsteps.
8. a small mass of something, as butter, shaped by patting or other manipulation.
9. ® cow pat.
10. a pat on the back, Colloquial a gesture or word of encouragement or congratulation.
11. pat someone on the back, Colloquial to congratulate or encourage with praise.
[ME; akin to PUTT ]