adjective, paler, palest, verb, paled, paling.
1. of a whitish appearance; without intensity of colour: pale complexion.
2. of a low degree of chroma, saturation, or purity; approaching white or grey: pale yellow.
3. lacking in brightness; dim: the pale moon.
4. faint; feeble; lacking vigour.
-- verb (i)
5. to become pale.
6. (often followed by beside or before ) to be diminished or seem less impressive: her achievements paled beside those of her friend.
-- verb (t)
7. to make pale.
[ME, from OF, from L pallidus pallid]
-- palely, adverb -- paleness, noun