1. the oxide of calcium, CaO, a white caustic solid ( quicklime or unslaked lime ) prepared by calcining limestone, etc., used in making mortar and cement. When treated with water it produces calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2, or slaked lime.
2. any calcium compounds for improving crops on lime-deficient soils.
3. ® birdlime.
4. Film a carbon-arc projector (formerly limelight was used).
-- verb (t) ( limed, liming )
5. to treat (soil, etc.) with lime or compounds of calcium.
6. to smear (twigs, etc.) with birdlime.
7. to catch with, or as with, birdlime.
[ME; OE lim, c. D lijm, G Leim, L limus slime; akin to LOAM ]