1. a movable piece, whether separate or hinged, for closing the opening of a vessel, box, etc.; a movable cover.
2. an eyelid.
3. Botany (in mosses) a. the cover of the capsule; operculum. b. the upper section of a pyxidium.
4. Colloquial a hat.
5. dip one's lid, a. to lift one's hat as a mark of respect. b. (often followed by to ) to respect someone.
6. lift the lid on, to reveal or expose, especially corruption or secret dealings.
7. put the lid on, a. to clamp down on or put an end to: to put the lid on prostitution. b. to remove as a possibility: That puts the lid on our holiday.
[ME; OE hlid, c. D lid, G Lid ]
-- lidded, adjective