1. a sudden, short breath; convulsive effort to breathe.
2. a short, convulsive utterance, especially as a result of fear or surprise.
-- verb (i)
3. to catch the breath, or struggle for breath, with open mouth, as from exhaustion; breathe convulsively.
4. gasp away, to breathe or emit with gasps: to gasp one's life away.
5. gasp for ; gasp after, to long with breathless eagerness; desire; crave.
6. gasp for air ; gasp for breath, to struggle to breathe.
7. gasp out, to utter with gasps
[ME gaspe ( n ), gayspe ( n ), from Scandinavian; cf. Icel. geispa, metathetic var. of geipsa yawn; akin to OE gipian yawn, gipung open mouth]