verb ( dared or durst, dared, daring )
-- verb (i)
1. to have the necessary courage or boldness for something; be bold enough.
-- verb (t)
2. to have the necessary courage for; venture on.
3. to meet defiantly.
4. to challenge or provoke to action, especially by doubting one's courage; defy: to dare a man to fight.
5. Colloquial a challenge, as to some dangerous act.
6. dare say, to assume as probable; have no doubt: I dare say he made a great mistake -- CATHERINE HELEN SPENCE, 1867.
[ME dar, OE dear ( r ), 1st and 3rd person sing. pres. ind. of durran; akin to OHG giturran ]
-- darer, noun