verb (t) ( cited, citing )
1. to quote (a passage, book, etc.), especially as an authority.
2. to mention in support, proof, or confirmation; refer to as an example.
3. to summon officially or authoritatively to appear in court.
4. to summon or call; rouse to action: cited to the field of battle.
5. to call to mind; mention: citing my own praise.
6. Military to mention (a soldier, unit, etc.) in orders, as for gallantry.
[late ME, from L citare, frequentative of ciere, cire, move, excite, call]
-- citableciteable, adjective